Participation in World Future Energy Summit
The President of Kazakhstan, in his speech, said that the Summit is an important part of the global dialogue of politicians, scientists and experts in the field of promoting clean energy technologies and energy efficiency.
– Experts have called it “clean energy diplomacy.” That is especially important in the functioning of the Paris game changing climate agreement, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of State pointed out that in 2015 the renewable energy investments for the first time had come up with the level of investments in the oil and gas sector.
The President of Kazakhstan noted that under present conditions no country can live according to the formula “develop now, and ecology is later,” noting the need for scenario to ensure safe energy state of the planet.
The Head of State stressed that the 21st c. should be the era of breakthroughs in energy decisions to determine the further vector of the industry, noting that the world’s energy policy is multidirectional.
– In some resource-rich countries little thought is given to the consequences of its energy policy. In other states it is based on preservation of its own resources and expansion of energy in third countries, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan has expressed the hope that the Summit would contribute to the activities of development and mainstreaming “clean” energy national policies, stressing the need for benefitting from new energy sources.
– Previously, only the developed countries could afford them. They have allowed accumulation of knowledge and technical expertise in new energy technologies. Now it is the time for developing countries to hook into the process, the Head of State said.
The President of Kazakhstan noted the efficiency of energy trends in transport.
– Electrically driven cars today are gaining more and more popularity and availability. Many cities of the world are moving to clean public transport, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
In that connection, the President of Kazakhstan informed the Summit participants that the previous year our country started its domestic manufacture of electric vehicles, about plans to expand it, and kick-start production of electro-buses.
The Head of State noted the activities of the International Renewable Energy Agency, which succeeded in uniting most of the countries under the banner of renewable energy, as well as pointed to the essential role of “green” finance for development of clean energy sources.
– Market of green bonds has rocketed over recent years, reaching $ 70 billion. That is 6-fold more than three years ago. Such capital issues can bring strong synergetic effect in renewable energy, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The President of Kazakhstan emphasized that furtherance of alternative energy forms and the environment protection should be supported by renouncing military nuclear programs.
– Kazakhstan has presented its vision solutions to the most acute problems in “World. XXI c.” Manifesto. Our country, from the very beginning of independence, has been promoting a nuclear-free plan for peaceful coexistence. We have elected not to possess the fourth in the world nuclear weapons arsenal, the Head of State said.
Nursultan Nazarbayev paid special attention to the fact that Kazakhstan is adherent to the peaceful use of atom, and recalled the IAEA decision in 2015 on creation of the Bank of low-enriched nuclear fuel in our country.
– It is meant for the states planning to develop nuclear energy. At present it is also actively exploring the use of thorium as an alternative to uranium. In this regard, the effectiveness of the nuclear industry can be significantly increased, the Head of State said.
In addition, the President of Kazakhstan noted that the current year our capital city hosts “EXPO-2017” trade show, after which “Astana” international financial center is to be on the basis of its infrastructure.
– We have held talks with Dubai Financial Center, and have agreed to use its experience in Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
The Head of State stressed that at the UN General Assembly session he had proposed, based on “EXPO-2017” facilities, to set up the International Centre for green technologies and investment projects development under the UN auspices as well. Joint activities of “Astana” International Financial Center and the Centre for Green Technologies are to give impetus to development of “green” bonds and Islamic finance in the region.
The President of Kazakhstan noted that promotion of clean energy initiatives is a good platform for cooperation.
– The Summit should give rise to new forms of cooperation between the countries and business in that area, Nursultan Nazarbayev said.
Concluding his speech, the Head of State wished all the participants fruitful discussions and working out useful recommendations on the issues discussed, and he also expressed congratulations on the 45th anniversary of the United Arab Emirates.
As part of the anniversary Summit the Kazakh leader has taken part in the ceremony of presenting the Future Energy International Award – Zyed Future Energy Prize.
The award was established in 2008 and is presented annually at the World Future Energy Summit within the Abu Dhabi Sustainable Development Week on behalf of the Crown Prince of the Emirate Sheikh Mohammed Al Nahyan. The award, which is in 5 nominations, is given by one of the heads of foreign states in the presence of the UAE leadership. This year Nursultan Nazarbayev has had the honor to hand out the awards.
Source: President of the Republic of Kazakhstan